Friday, April 22, 2011

Rainy Day Reading

Although there's a measure of irony in using my first few days of freedom to go to the library and check out MORE books (having not yet returned the monstrous stacks now subdividing my dining room), that's what I did.

Fun books.

That has made all the difference.

On this drizzly Friday, I'm reading some Vaclav Havel (Czech playwright and politician: The Art of the Impossible and Largo Desolato), some Elizabeth Strout (American novelist and Pulitzer Prize winner: Abide with Me), some Yiyun Li (Chinese-American short storyist and MacArthur Fellow: A Thousand Years of Good Prayers), and some Irene Zabytko (Ukrainian-American novelist: When Luba Leaves Home).

I'm also working my way through Dave Eggers's Hearbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, but that one requires some recuperative breaks now and then.

It feels really good to read without a pencil in hand...unless I want to.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you're getting to relax. Is the stress all falling away or are there still other things going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my weekend off, and then work projects pick up where the thesis left off. But I'm enjoying a few days' fun for now.

    Hope you're having a great Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete