Saturday, September 19, 2009

Wisdom Teeth

When I talk to friends I haven't seen for a while, one of the first questions they ask is, "How's grad school going?"

There are a lot of potential answers, but let's just say that I'm currently cutting a wisdom tooth, both literally and metaphorically.

It's a slow process. There are good days and bad days. It can be painful. It can seem like just cutting the thing out and eating jello for three weeks would be a better option.

And yet, there are moments when I get a glimpse of the bigger picture, of where I'm going; moments when I stop, take a deep breath (something that I am finally beginning to be able to do again), and revel in the fact that I can play with words all day long, smell the dusky books on the fourth floor of the library, and chew on complex, fascinating ideas with people who are much smarter than I am.

It's a process.

So how is grad school?

It's two sharp white nubs pushing through the corner of my jaw. How's that for an answer? :-)

2 comments:

  1. Ok i promise i will try not to ask "how's grad school going" for one of the first questions to ask when talking to ya. If i do, feel free to use the wisdom tooth comment ;-) I miss your randomness

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely allowed to ask! I don't mind at all, I just don't have a very definitive answer most of the time. :-)

    ReplyDelete