Monday, May 25, 2009

The saddest thing

I just saw the saddest thing yesterday. I was driving on a country road, behind another car, and it swerved in front of me. I assumed there was roadkill that it didn't want to get in its tires. I do the same thing, after all.

Well, it was. There was a dead groundhog on the side of the road, a pretty big one. But sitting next to it was a live groundhog. Just sitting there.

I swerved too, and the live groundhog scampered a little way off the road and sat upright in the weeds, watching me driving by. 

I looked in my rearview mirror once I was past, and it had shuffled back onto the road and was sitting next to the dead one again. 

I'm not a crier, but I almost did cry. I'm not sure why it hit me so closely, but it was really sad, watching the little guy sit there, not moving around, just sitting there. :-(

1 comment: