Thursday, September 6, 2012

All in the Rhetoric

Last night, I watched Michelle Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention, and I was frankly captivated. What a compelling speaker she is. My next thought was that I would love to use her speech as an example for rhetorical devices and oratory in general.

The more I dig in to curriculum writing, and the more time I spend getting fired up about speeches, politics, tutoring, and even marketing, the more I wonder if I might not find my passion better met in Rhetoric and Composition. Not this year, but maybe down the road...

I'm getting back a little of my fire back, y'all. And it feels great.

3 comments:

  1. Kristen and I were on our way to bed last night (teeth brushed and everything) when I saw your post and made the mistake of clicking the video. Of course we wound up watching the whole thing.

    On a related note, earlier that day I'd watched President Clinton's speech from the night before. Did you see it yet? Now THERE is a great communicator. Check out the video here if you haven't seen it:

    http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/80861.html

    Also, there's a great commentary on his use of improvisation and country charm on CNN's website:

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/06/opinion/kusnet-clinton-speech-style/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen his speech yet, but it's on my list. Just need to carve out a 45-minute block in my day. :)

    Hope you're having a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete