Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Takin' Names, Writin' a Prospectus

Yesterday was a long day of writing very little. Perhaps it's the similarity between a prospectus and a statement of purpose, like those requested by all graduate schools, internships, study abroad programs, fellowship applications, etc. etc. and so forth.

"In 500 words or less, please tell us the meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything. Oh, and if you could also include the way your (research)(skill set)(membership in our scholarly community)(existence) is going to radically alter that meaning, that would be great. And go."

::involuntary shudder::

So instead of writing, I looked at...

My friend Emily's awesome Etsy shop
A cool German photographer's photostream
My friend Sarah's funny video recap of a swing dance
The Humane Society's adoptable pets

In any case, I didn't hit my stride until about 1:15 a.m. And then you know what did it?

I found a sentence that was missing its closing punctuation.

::insert period::

Life is good.

I can write again.

Just like that.





Don't tell me grammar is useless.

(The fact that my ability to write is now curiously and frighteningly like a segment of HTML code will remain on the list of things I don't think about when trying to write my prospectus...)

No comments:

Post a Comment