Monday, June 9, 2008

Dancing through life

When I think of the word joy, I inevitably think of dancing. After four years of ballroom and swing dancing during college, I am firmly enmeshed in addiction to dance.

One of the great reliefs of my summer has been the chance to go contra dancing once a week. It's not the same rush as ballroom or swing, but it is still a lot of fun.

Last week, when I first arrived and was waiting to pay, the lady behind the table asked if I was "a student or a person." Apparently, as I was glad to discover, graduation has the benefit of turning you into a real person. Yay!

Contra dancing is similar to line or square dancing, and it is also somewhat like old-fashioned partner dances. There is a caller, and with a partner, you move up and down a line of dance repeating the same pattern of turns, steps, and spins.

Dancing can teach you a lot about courtesy and human relationships, I'm discovering.

When you are dancing with someone, it is rude to be watching someone else dance. If you have accepted the invitation to dance, it is polite to be present with your partner during the dance.

There is a certain distance that is appropriate for each type of dance. Accepting fault is polite, and thanks are always in order when the music fades. Smiling does wonders for making your partner feel comfortable, and it is important not to take yourself--or the dance--too seriously.

I think every relationship would be better for a beautiful waltz or two. Just try not to smile while you sweep around the floor. I bet you can't do it. And why would you want to?

If only all relationships were that simple, self-contained, and magical.

1 comment:

  1. ... what does it mean, when you dance with someone who is so tall that they can't hear you when you talk to them, because the sound waves dissipate before they reach their ears?

    ReplyDelete